onsdag 22. oktober 2014

Personal training



Getting a personal trainer (PT) is a surprisingly efficient way to quickly improve your form and eventually reach your goals. But what makes a good PT? I had no idea before I got one myself. When I signed up for a chat with a PT at Barry’s Bootcamp Bergen, I wrote the names of a few instructors, and asked to be assigned to one of them if possible. My selection criteria were simple: female or close to my age. I guess I wanted a potential PT to have at least some physical feature in common with me.

I got assigned to Ketil Ola Skjelvan, and I think by now you know how extremely enthusiastic I am about having him as my trainer.  In fact, all personal trainers at Barry’s Bootcamp are excellent; I see them in action with their students in the PT room, and they all do a fantastic job. The reason I consider myself extra lucky to work with Ketil is that his competence and experience match perfectly all the goals that I have set so far. Before a race, besides preparing me for it with exercises, he explains to me in detail and in pictures how the course will be (because he has of course participated many times himself), and how fast I should go at various stages. Every time I manage to do exactly as he says, it works just perfectly! I have reached all my initial goals so far, and many more that were set on the go, simply by following his instructions to the letter. Ketil is also incredibly good in predicting my race finishing times, which means he has an impressive overview of my form. I find all this very reassuring, and it gives me 100% confidence both in the path that I am following and in Ketil's expertise.

Unfortunately, I have heard stories about PTs in other gyms who are not anywhere near this. PTs fiddling with their phones or talking to others while you are doing your exercises… or PTs who are very encouraging and complimenting, but not pushing you hard enough. Based on my own experience, I recommend that you make sure that your PT:
  • Gives you his/her full attention throughout the whole PT session
  • Understands your goals and wishes, and makes a clear plan on how to achieve them, so that you know all the time where you are headed and why you are doing exactly those exercises
  • Is super encouraging, motivating, and complimenting you on your efforts (as long as you are working hard of course)
  • Acknowledges every one of your accomplishments no matter how small they are, and makes you feel like you are the best in the world
  • Is sincerely interested in your questions, and has the right answers
  • Pushes you out of your comfort zone every single PT session, so you become stronger every time
  • Knows about injuries, equipment, and nutrition, in addition to having competence in training towards exactly your goal
  • Makes you feel like a proper athlete

If you already have a PT and you are not getting all this, then I would recommend to have a chat with your PT, or consider changing. On the other hand, if you are not working properly according to your PT’s recommendations, then you will not get the results you want no matter how fantastic your PT is. Here are some guidelines which I think are important for you to follow for your PT sessions to work optimally:
  • You simply must do as your PT advises you (also outside of the PT sessions) in order to reach your goals. If not, then you are wasting your time and money, as well as your PT’s time.
  • Let your PT lead the way and be the boss, once you have agreed upon the goals. Don’t challenge his/her authority; he/she is the teacher; you are the student. (Asking questions is of course very good!)
  • Have an open minded and positive attitude. Don’t complain about the hardness of the exercises or about being exhausted. This is exactly why you are there; this is what makes you strong.
  • Be super focused and work hard during each entire PT session, don’t watch or talk to others who are training at the same time.
  • Be honest about everything; this will make it easier for your PT to assess your form and your needs.
  • If you are experiencing pain or injury, let your PT know immediately.
  • Every now and then, ask whether you are doing all the exercises correctly, and ask your PT to correct you for any imperfections.
  • Show your gratitude when you are happy about the results that you are getting.

Give it a try; it's really really fun, too!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar